Wednesday, July 09, 2014

LADIES BIBLE STUDY


Suffering Saviour

Mrs. Rick Jackson
 
Let’s begin with our memory verse from last month – Jeremiah 33:3  – “Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.” 

A couple of months ago I had to teach an impromptu Sunday School lesson – it’s a reminder of the verse, 1 Peter 3:15, “But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear.” I said a quick prayer for direction, and then Samantha started talking about Barabbas – with great confusion, I might add – so we took out our Bibles, and I walked her through Easter week.  We had a wonderful lesson together and I rejoiced at the reminder of what Christ did for me! And it made me wonder, how often do I consider and remember what Jesus suffered for my sins?  Henry stirred this thought in me even more recently in Sunday School when he said, “How can we enjoy sin that caused my Saviour to suffer?”   We read in 1 Peter 2 –

21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:

24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

 

I thought tonight we would take some time apart to dwell on what Christ SUFFERED for us.  Turn with me to Isaiah 53.

WHO Suffered

We are told in the eighth chapter of Acts that the Ethiopian eunuch was reading from this portion of Isaiah when he asked Philip, “I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man? Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.(v. 34, 35)

 

So we know these verses are referring to Jesus. Let’s begin by reading the first four verses --

 

1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?

2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

 

This was referred to directly in Romans 10:16-17 which says, “16But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
17So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”

 

And what do you suppose that phrase, “as a root out of a dry ground” means?  Jesus was not what was expected, was he?  The Messiah was from a lowly birth.  Mary’s family was poor.  Joseph, the man chosen to be his earthly father, was a mere carpenter.  The Jews were enslaved by the Romans. Jesus grew up in Nazareth.  John R. Rice put it this way, “You don’t turn out great, mighty men of God, supernatural, miracle-working men, from such an environment.”[1] He grew up in Galilee.  Remember what Nathanael said to Philip, “And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see.” (John 1:46) Jesus, God Himself, became a man.  He covered His deity in flesh for you and me.  He became a Servant and suffered humiliation. 

Verse three goes on to say that “He is despised and rejected of men.”  I think of His last week before the crucifixion.  Palm Sunday was a jubilant day when He came into Jerusalem and the people were rejoicing in His presence!! In just a few short days, many of these same people were shouting “CRUCIFY HIM! CRUCIFY HIM!”  He is despised and rejected of men.”  We remember Peter who declared that he would never deny Him and yet three times Peter declared he was not one of Jesus’ disciples.  Peter left His presence bitterly weeping.  Matthew 26:56 even tells us, “But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.” And it continues today, doesn’t it?  What name do people use as a curse word above all other names?  What about you and I – are we guilty of the same thing?  Peter was a saved man when he left Jesus to suffer alone.  Do we despise and reject Him?  Do we make time for Him in our life EVERY day?  Do we pray? Do we read our Bible daily? Or do we despise and reject Him?

 

 

WHY He Suffered

 

Jesus took the place of guilty sinners and paid the price for their salvation. The innocent Servant died in the place of the guilty – you and me! He did not die because of anything He had done, but because of what WE had done! Jesus became our Substitute! If you read carefully, you can find 24 references in these 12 verses to the Saviour’s suffering.

4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

 

Oh, what a miracle, what a wonder that Jesus would die for me!! But why did He bear our griefs and carry our sorrows I think the question is answered in the first part of verse 6, All we like sheep have gone astray.” This reminds me of Romans 3:23 – For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” Then, again, the end of this verse says, “yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.”  Again, we ask, why?  The answer comes in the next verse --

 

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

                                                                                                                              

So that reminds me of 2 Corinthians 5:21, “For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.”  He died for MY sins.  He, “who knew no sin,” became sin for me, shed His blood on the cross for MY sins, so that I could have eternal life because of His suffering!

 

6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

 

I was a lost lamb, going my own way. This verse reminds us “the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.”  Jesus died for me and my sins!

 

I love the hymn that expresses this so well --

 

Oh, what a Saviour that He died for me!

From condemnation He hath made me free;

"He that believeth on the Son," saith He,

"Hath everlasting life."

 

"Verily, verily, I say unto you,"

"Verily, verily," message ever new;

"He that believeth on the Son," 'tis true,

"Hath everlasting life."

 

All my iniquities on Him were laid,

All my indebtedness by Him was paid;

All who believe on Him, the Lord hath said,

Have "everlasting life."

 

Though poor and needy, I can trust my Lord;

Though weak and sinful, I believe His word;

Oh, blessed message! every child of God

"Hath everlasting life."

 

Though all unworthy, yet I will not doubt,

For him that cometh He will not cast out;

"He that believeth"—oh, the good news shout!

“Hath everlasting life."

 

 

WHAT He Suffered

 

Let’s go back to Isaiah 53:5 -- 

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

 

I cannot read these verses without pausing and giving a moment of thanks.  Thank you, Jesus.  I do not begin to fully comprehend what He suffered for me.  He was wounded, he was bruised, he was covered in MY sins. Isaiah 52:14 tells us, “As many were astonied at thee; his visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men:” There are three key words in verse 5wounded, bruised, stripes.  Think on those -- “he was wounded, he was bruised, with his stripes…” Jesus suffered for me!  In John 10:11 Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.”

 

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

 

Here are two more descriptive words – oppressed and afflicted.  Oppressed means the exercise of authority or power in a burdensome, cruel, or unjust manner, where afflicted is to distress with mental or bodily pain. 

 

Now, let me read you a passage from Matthew 27:27-31 –

 

27 Then the soldiers of the governor took Jesus into the common hall, and gathered unto him the whole band of soldiers.

28 And they stripped him, and put on him a scarlet robe.
29 And when they had platted a crown of thorns, they put it upon his head, and a reed in his right hand: and they bowed the knee before him, and mocked him, saying, Hail, King of the Jews!

30 And they spit upon him, and took the reed, and smote him on the head.

31 And after that they had mocked him, they took the robe off from him, and put his own raiment on him, and led him away to crucify him.

 

Doesn’t that say oppressed and afflicted to you? Verse 7 goes on to say that “he openeth not his mouth.”  This was referenced in each of the gospels, that Christ did not defend himself.

 

8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

 

Again, we are reminded that it was for sin that Jesus suffered.  These are the exact verses that the Ethiopian eunuch was reading when the Bible says that Philip preached unto him Jesus!

 

9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

 

Now we come to Christ’s burial.  Look at how specific the prophecy is. He was crucified between two thieves, common criminals, “with the wicked,” and His body should have been thrown on the dung heap, yet he was buried in the tomb of Joseph of Arimathaea, a rich man, “with the rich in his death.” Once again we are reminded that he had died, yet without sin.  I think of the thief on the cross who said, “…this man hath done nothing amiss.” (John 23:41)

 

 

WHEN He Suffered

When Jesus suffered for you and me – what did it ultimately mean? 

 

10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

 

When Jesus suffered for us, how could it possibly please God?  Romans 8:32 says, “He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, . . .” Doesn’t that make you think, too, of John 3:16? This verse, too, speaks of Christ’s resurrection, because it says, “he shall see his seed– that’s me and you, His seed are His spiritual children! Jesus always pleased His Father, “And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.” (John 8:29)  Then “he shall prolong his days,” speaks to His resurrection which Christ foretold, “Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.” (John 10:17)

 

 

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

 

Not only was the Father pleased, but Christ was satisfied when He had completed His sacrifice.  On the cross, we are reminded that He said, “It is finished.” (John 19:30)  Hebrews 12:2 says, “Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

 


12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

 

When Jesus suffered for your sins and for my sins, He became the Substitute.  He did for us what we could not.  He made a way for us to live with God in Heaven.  He made intercession for sinners. Peter said it this way in his epistle, “Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.” This is an unconditional salvation for all men.  Jesus Himself said, “All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.” (John 6:37)  We became His spoil. In Psalm 2:8 the Father says to the Son, “Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.”

 

 

This month let’s memorize Isaiah 53:6 and remember what Jesus suffered for our sin.



[1] John R. Rice, Christ in Isaiah (Murfreesboro, TN: Sword of the Lord Publisher, 1969), 43.

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'