Thursday, November 13, 2014

Making Priorities: Taking Responsibility


Bill Rice Ranch - First Light Devotionals  

I Timothy 5:16 If any man or woman that believeth have widows, let them relieve them, and let not the church be charged; that it may relieve them that are widows indeed.


 

 


 

This past year I read about half of a book that had a premise with which I didn't agree, but there was one thing the author said that caught my attention. Essentially, he said that a lack of time is a lack of priorities. In other words, you always have enough time to do what is really important. It is easy to buy myself an excuse to not do what I should do by saying, "I just don't have the time." A lack of time equals a lack of priority, but making priorities means taking responsibility.
 
I Timothy 5 is all about taking responsibility and making priorities, and how taking care of priorities helps us with other areas of life. I Timothy 5:16 says, "If any man or woman that believeth have widows, let them relieve them, and let not the church be charged; that it may relieve them that are widows indeed." This is a reminder that my family is my responsibility.
 
Now I thank God for my church, but God did not call my church to take care of my family in the same way that a father is obligated to do. God has called me to do that. Because God has called me to do that, it makes church mighty important because I need that help, but I am responsible to take care of the people closest to me in life. The church can help, but no one should take care of that which should be a priority to me.
 
I Timothy 5:8 says, "But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel." If I am not making a point to take care of what is most important, I'm not honoring God.
 
Here's the bottom line: making priorities means taking responsibility. We need God's wisdom to do that because sometimes we don't know where to start or what is most important. Do not allow this idea that you can't do all that you want to do in a day be an excuse for not doing what you must do. At the end of the day, sometimes we avoid making priorities because we know on some level that making priorities means taking responsibility. Do know that if you should do something, you can do something if you will trust God to help.
 

Prayer Requests:
-Meetings this week in Ripley, TNWhite House, TN; and Springrun, PA


 Enjoy more devotionals, sermon audio, and articles on our website!

Navy  

 


The information in this post was provided by the good folks at:


Bill Rice Ranch | 627 Bill Rice Ranch Road | Murfreesboro | TN | 37128

No comments:

 
mobile='yes'